Sunday, November 15, 2015

Thanksgiving gift, 6x6/12x12 Organizational Tips, Teacher Treats, and a Crooked Stamper Sketch challenge


My Big Shot broke again, and my wonderful dhDH (dear husband Doug Houck) fixed it for the fourth time.  He gave me permission to buy a new one if it happens again.  Meanwhile, I decided it was time to re-organize some of my 12x12 and 6x6 collections.  After all, there is no way one can live without a Big Shot, right?  I had to find something creative to do...

Organizational tip:  (6x6 papers sorted by color)
I took my really thin 12x12 collections (some actually had no 12x12, some had maybe two sheets) and cut them down to 6x6.  I also took some of my really thin 6x6 pads and threw away the front and back covers of the pads and re-organized all of these papers by color with the cut down 12x12.  I also sorted 6x6 papers from retired card kits in there too.  Many of my 6x6 were double-sided; I had to decide which side I liked best and filed it that way.  In a couple of cases where I loved both sides, I filed each piece under two different colors.  Make sense?
I created dividers with colored card stock cut to 6x7; red, pink, green, yellow, blue, orange, black, grey, kraft, and beige.  I made a decision to put all aqua papers in the blue section.
I also chose to make a few other categories:  text, gingham, multi-colored stripes/dots/chevrons, music, scenic (e.g. hot air balloons, clouds, bikes, maps), colorful florals, and school/office (e.g. grid/graph papers, typewriters, numbers).

This was a lot of work, but I wasn't really using those paper scraps and old collections anyway.  I am anxious to see if it was worth the hours I spent organizing.

I have thought of doing this for about 5 years now, and I fought it because I enjoy working within a collection since the patterns are already color-coordinated.
I wanted to play along with Leslie's sketch, and I gotta say I threw this pie card together in less than 30 minutes.  My pie and cutting board die cuts and sentiment came from the November Simon Says Stamp card kit.  I knew I wanted red gingham paper, so I went right to my newly organized 6x6 to the gingham section.  Score!  The new system is working already…of course I had a great sketch as motivation.  I added some MME burlap ribbon and frayed both ends a bit.  Done.

Every year right before Thanksgiving our realtor gives us a gift certificate for a pie at a local pie shop.  This card is for her.  Perfect, right?

I came across some ancient 12x12 in autumnal colors, so I decided to make some "Happy Thanksgiving" teacher treats with peppermint patties.
 Here is the front and the back:
I am probably the only parent that does little treats throughout the school year, but I am sure other parents help in other ways.  This is what I choose to do.  I like to let them know they are appreciated and I love using my stash.

Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

Wow. So much going on. First, the Big Shot. I broke off the handle, which seems to be a common occurrence. Probably because it sticks out from the machine, so no matter how you pack it for transport, a good knock will snap it. Sizzix will send you a replacement crank shaft for $5 with instructions on how to replace it. Libby and I both had to do this.

12x12 papers: I sold most of mine at my friend's crafty year sale, but I do have a 12x12 box of My Precious 12x12 papers that I just won't part with. I used a ton of them to make gift boxes earlier this summer, but the rest are keepers. And yes, I do use them on occasion. I know someone else who cut all hers down to 6x6, but with an A2 card, a 4.25 (or just 4) x6 makes more sense to me. So I haven't cut anything.

I'm so hooked on the matchy-matchy of 6x6 pads, I can't bring myself to break them up. I have 4 shoe-box-sized plastic boxes that hold my collection quite nicely. I do group them, though. I used to have (gah) pink separately, but they've somehow gotten mixed in with everything else. I have maintained my "neutrals" and "specialty" pads separately, though.

I love the burlap on your card. I've seen several people use burlap this weekend. Must be the season. :) And thanks for playing my challenge!

Peppermint Patties: I might have wept when they changed their packaging from the circles to the new puff packs. I even wrote an open letter on my blog to the Hershey Company telling them they were losing HUGE sales from the crafting industry. Someone from Hershey actually responded! They said the patties stay fresher this way. Hmph. I'm glad to see they work for some projects.

You think you're the only parent that does teacher gifts? Maybe at your school, but OMG, the things people make for their kids' schools! I'm so happy my kids were out of school before that became a thing! Oh, and if it makes you happy, then DO IT! One of my friends LOVES to make gifts for people, in multiples. Sounds like work.

Speaking of which, I just made 24 Thank You cards to give as boxed sets to neighbors. Now I remember why I stopped mass production. *wipes brow* I'll do a blog post once my arm recovers.

Sherrie K. said...

Your card is darling June! The gingham paper is so fun and love the touch of burlap! The pie looks delicious! Cute design and perfect for you Realtor!
The Teacher treats look amazing and how thoughtful! Love them! Thanks for the organizing tips...I am looking for some especially for my paper!
Have a great day!
Sherrie K

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are gorgeous! LOVING that burlap on your card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lauren bergold said...

as always, i'm blown away by how much you get done ALL THE TIME... and how gorgeous it all is! plus... you're super organized!!! yowza! ♥♥♥ (love those treats AND the piecard is FAB!!!)