Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Be Inspired # 73 - Cracked Glass with UTEE

Have you visited Cuttlebug Challenge blog recently? My friend, Deanna, told me about it ~a year ago. When I was invited to be on the design team, I was ecstatic. I have watched Maggie (Cuttlebug Challenge blog owner), continuously make improvements to the Cuttlebug Challenge blog. It has evolved into so much more than a challenge blog! It is a teaching and inspiration blog. I enjoy it because: I learn so much from my DT sisters and Maggie, I am also challenged to try new techniques, and I get to dust off and use products from my craft room that I have not used in a very long time.

This week's challenge had me blowing the dust off of my UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel) aka Amazing Glaze. It is a heat embossing powder. I have used it only once before and I have a one pound container. This is what my friend, Leslie, refers to as S.A.B.L.E. (Supplies Available Beyond Life Expectancy).

My card
: I stamped a pear with bleach onto eggplant card stock (I love this color so much, yet I rarely use it...) Then I chalked the image with various chalks.
To create cracked glass effect: Ink up the image with VersaMark watermark stamp pad, then applied UTEE and heat emboss. Repeat 2 or 3 times to achieve desired thickness. Place in the freezer for 1 or 2 minutes, then carefully bend the image to create cracks.
Helpful hints (what I learned):
1. I am a wimp when it comes to touching anything hot. I lined a small box with aluminum foil, then dropped my UTEE image in the box to heat emboss.
2. When I bent the image too much or left it in the freezer longer than 2 minutes, the cracks were larger and chunks of UTEE fell off. I re-inked with VersaMark and re-applied the UTEE. No problem.
3. Use bright and vivid colors in your image. The layers of UTEE will dull the colors.

Other supplies:
ProvoCraft Cuttlebug Floral Screen embossing folder, Making Memories brads, Rubba Dub Dub fibers, Fiskars border punch, and SU Teeny Tiny Wishes sentiment and oval punches.

I am going to hop over to Cuttlebug Challenge blog Be Inspired # 73 now. I hope you have time to enter! I get inspiration from my DT sisters and you as well :)

Happy Wednesday!

14 comments:

America said...

Hi June! Love your take on this cracked glass challenge. Thats an amazing look youve achieved! TFS :)

Girlsinthecraft said...

Wow, what a cool technique! Can't wait to try it. Love the extra details you added as well :)

Anonymous said...

Hi June your card is `gorgeous` I love the way you craeted your image...Beautiful TFI
Have a fab weeK)x

Anonymous said...

Cool technique! I really like the look of your card.

Shauna K said...

what a great card, June! it's been too long since I've blogged regularly, sorry for the absence! hehe, anyways, I'm LOVING this color combo! and that embossing pattern is fantastic! a must have :D

Chris said...

Hi June! It's been far too long since I came to visit your blog, I hope you're well and your family too. I love your card and the pear image looks wonderful with the cracked glass technique, very arty! I agree about the eggplant colour too, very luxurious. Great inspiration as always June. Hugs to you my friend, Chris :)

Karen said...

Isn't this a cool technique June? I just love how great the UTEE looks on your card for the glass effect! I love your color combo on your fabulous card as well!!

Hugs,
Karen

JustJules said...

This is a beautiful card! The colors and papers are wonderful. What a wonderful talent you have for putting together such a beauty for the eye to behold! Thanks for the inspiration.

Kay said...

Wow, June! This card is amazing and is truly a piece of art! You certainly have inspired me! ♥♥ Kay

Deb said...

June, this is beautiful!! I haven't done this technique in "forever"; you've inspired me to dust off my UTE and give it a try. Thanks for sharing your tips on the UTEE, especially about the bright colours. :-)

lauren bergold said...

oooooooooooooh now *THAT* is such a fabulously dramatic effect! how utterly cool and striking, missus! ♥

ps: happy c-bug anniversary to ya! and many more!!!

pss: i am totally laughing at leslie's "SABLE"!!! yeah. been there, done that. :)

Rebekah Williams said...

You could sell these, ya know...

Windy Hills said...

Wow--what a beautiful presentation. This is very unique--great job!

Leslie Hanna said...

Love the colors and the embossing and the borders and ... and ... oh, yeah, the cracked glass! heh heh

Thanks for the mention (SABLE - story of my life.) Angela's has called me THREE TIMES to tell me things I've ordered have arrived. We need to to another meet-up some time. xo